Mendota Heights City Mayor
The role of city mayor can vary from city to city. However, the mayor is usually the head of the city and may represent the city in front of other government bodies. A mayor also usually has a role in proposing a city budget that is approved by the city council. The budget influences the services the city provides to its residents. Mayors sometimes are voting members of city council, and in some cities the mayor is in charge of city council meetings.
Haga clic sobre la foto del candidato para aprender más. Para comparar dos candidatos, haga clic en el botón "compare". Para empezar de nuevo, haga clic sobre la foto de otro candidato.
John P Maczko
Why are you the best candidate for this position? (750 characters)
If elected, what will your top three priorities be and why? (500 characters)
How will you work with your community to promote public safety in our neighborhoods? (500 characters)
As the current mayor, I am a proven leader who acts with integrity, honesty and transparency. Our city is thriving with outstanding police, fire and public works services. We have enhanced our parks and trails and expanded recreation programming. Our city council kept taxes at a reasonable rate while making prudent investments. We are securing our future through strategic planning, capital improvements and prefunding equipment expenses. We are tapping into our community strengths through volunteerism and launched the Natural Resources Commission. We have prioritized conservation and environmental stewardship. Consistent and stable leadership will help ensure a bright future for our city.
1. Preserve: Continue providing efficient and effective city services at a reasonable tax rate. Address our aging infrastructure, redevelopment, airport noise and traffic. 2. Enhance: Continuously look for ways to improve through strategic planning, ways to strengthen our parks and trail system and prioritize stewardship of our environment and natural resources. 3. Protect: Keep our community safe by working closely with Police and Fire Chiefs and cooperating with neighboring communities
We have a long tradition of community involvement in public safety. Police Chief Kelly McCarthy leads with passion, compassion and transparency. We work together to “raise the bar” with volunteer programs like CERT and ABLE training for our police. Another key aspect of public safety is our volunteer paid-on-call fire department. As mayor, I make sure our responders have the tools they need and I respect their expertise. We focus on prevention through education, connection and vigilance
I am a lifelong resident of Mendota Heights with 30+ years of experience in leadership positions in small and large cities including 32 years - Fire Chief in Mendota Heights and 33 years as a licensed Civil/Traffic engineer in City of Saint Paul - 12 years as the City Engineer. I have firsthand experience and a deep understanding of city operations, from budgeting for operations and capital improvement to community involvement, working with developers and assisting policy makers with development and implementation of policy. During my tenure as Fire Chief, the department was twice recognized as the Minnesota State Fire Department of the Year and I was recognized as City Engineer of the Year by the City Engineers Association of Minnesota.
• Preserve the character of Mendota Heights as a safe and welcoming community with emphasis on open and natural areas.
• Build authentic public engagement to increase citizen participation. "Count people - not meetings" and do not marginalize anyone.
• Enhance partnerships with county and state agencies to deal with traffic issues that are a quality-of-life issue.
• Maintain essential public services in a sustainable cost-effective manner maximizing our use of the valuable tax dollars collected
The best way to promote public safety is to connect with our residents in a positive way as often as possible not just “when they need help”. How well we connect, gain trust and provide helpful tips and education that residents can use to protect themselves and their loved ones is how success should be measured. Vigilant, knowledgeable, well informed and engaged residents, supported by well equipped, trained, and compassionate first responders is the recipe for success!
Para seleccionar un candidato y crear su boleta, tiene que ingresar su dirección.
You have already selected the maximum number of candidates for this race.
You must uncheck an existing selection before making another selection.